[linux-dvb] Re: dvb kernel

Quoting Jamie Honan <jhonan@optusnet.com.au>:

> In general, the dvb-kernel CVS is the latest bleeding edge.
> It's not quite obvious where it is, but
> http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/
> shows how the check it out. I use the dvb-kernel tree.
>
> There are a bunch of apps in the DVB tree, for command line
> testing, getting channels etc.
>
> You apply the files in my tarball into the dvb-kernel stuff
> you check out, until it is checked into CVS. We really are very close
> to checking in.

Thanks Jamie,

A few questions:
* What is the current status of the driver?

* Card identification, how is it done? It looks like the driver attempts
to claim all UNKNOWN/GENERIC Bt878 devices for itself, is this corrent?
My card's device ids are 109e:0878(audio function) and 109e:036e (video),
revision 17, subsystem ID 1822:0001.

* THDVT20023 I2C protocol packet format. When looking at windows drivers
(which support both DVB-S and DVB-T) there seems to be 2 slightly different
versions of the protocol, one using fixed size 8-byte packets and another
using variable-sized packets. Which one is used depends on the number of
things such as PCI info, registry settings, results of a particular I2C
query command, phase of the Moon etc. It's difficult to track it all
the way up. Do you have any info on that?

* Tuner control.
Do you know if tuner control messages are translated or simply wrapped
into packets by the THDVT protocol? If they are simply wrapped then
I might be able to reuse existing nxt6000 frontend driver. OTOH if they
are translated they may have the same format for both DVB-S and DVB-T.

Regards,
Dmitri