[linux-dvb] Re: help requested for getting out of the problems with dvb-c and UPC

From: "Gerhard Steiner" <GSteiner@gmx.at>
> I am using a Haupauge DVB-c 727 with a av7110 and ves1820.
> So it is a fullfeatured card (it's my only one).

You have a symbol rate of 6900 kbaud and QAM-256. If my math is right, that
should give a net data rate of almost 51 Mbps - considerably higher than
the data rates used in German cable and on ASTRA satellite (both about
38Mbps).

Considering the not-so-good engineering of both the VES1820 and the AV7110,
you should be happy that you got it working at all... :|

> Also Martin Neuditschko has these artefacts, but everyone has
> it on different channels.
>
> Where to start?

Trying to improve the signal quality might be a good start. Maybe use
better cables from the cable outlet to the card, removing or replacing the
cable amplifier, etc.

Then newer hardware might be helpful - the VES1820 is quite old. Philips
has since released the VES1820X and the TDA10021. And the AV7110 is
hopeless anyway... So if you can find a card with _current_ hardware on it,
it might also give better results (unfortunately, I don't know of any,
except maybe for the TechnoTrend hybrid DVB-C/T card which I think will
have a TDA10021 as the cable demodulator on it, but it is a product planned
for 2004).

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach