[linux-dvb] Please HELP !!! (Internet via SkyStar II PCI, and EON)

	Hello guys,

	I am really sorry this post is going to be little
larger, but I will try to give
	 as more technical details as I can, in hope that
someone will find good and patient
	to read all this, and help me, I hope. I would be
really really, thankful.

	The main goal, is to setup linux server,
dial-on-demand isdn gateway (it's simple, I
	already had expirience with it, and it's all done,
working nice), which will use satelite
	proxy.

	SAT Provider, has to be EON.

	Since configuring squid as a proxy warper shouldn't
be a problem, the first  goal I want to reach,
	is to setup machine so I could use sat proxy from
mozilla in X.

	Computer has TechniSat SkyStar II PCI card.

	The question is,

	What I exactly need to make my internet connection
work with it ?

	I guess, but I am not sure, the answer would be :

	1. Skystar driver properly installed.
	2. dvb0_0 interface configured (with net_start.sh and
updated mac address)
	3. dvbd

	Many HOWTOs I saw, says "official dvbd can be found
at linuxtv.org". I couldn't
	find it, so I am wondering if all necessary stuff to
make it works is included
	in linuxtv-1.0.1.tgz or I have to find dvbd
somewhere, since I couldn't find it
	on linuxtv.org. I compiled some dvbd3 I found
somewhere, but it simply reports
	nothing, like it's just exit(0) in the main(); I also
tried dvbd2 I found,
	still nothing, ps aux, no dvbd there.

	So, I hope someone will answer this. (what I exactly
need).

	Here is the situation I have now on my machine :

	- Slackware Linux 9.0, kernel 2.4.22 (with and
without devfsd)

	- Installed linuxtv-dvb-1.0.1, with automatic module

	- I created /dev/ using makedev.napi, and put
devfd.conf and modules.conf to proper place.

	To be sure about the SkyStar II, here it is the
output of the lspci -v :

	02:09.0 Network controller: Techsan Electronics Co
Ltd B2C2 Sky2PC PCI [SkyStar2] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Techsan Electronics Co Ltd B2C2
Sky2PC PCI [SkyStar2]
        Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64,
IRQ 11
        Memory at feae0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=64K]
        I/O ports at df80 [size=32]

	Now, let's check out what happens when I boot machine
:

	-- part of dmesg --

	Technisat SkyStar2 driver loading
	PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 02:09.0
	skystar2.c: FlexCopII(rev.130) chip found
	skystar2.c: MAC address = 00:d0:d7:01:46:6d:00:00
	skystar2.c: key =
	 b2 00 00 00
	 00 00 00 00
	 00 00 00 00
	 00 00 00 00
	DVB: registering new adapter (Techsan Electronics Co
Ltd B2C2 Sky2PC PCI [SkyStar2]).

	--------------------

	Well, it looks like it worked.

	Next, what I try to do, is run net_start.sh from
linux-dvb-1.0.1/apps/

	here is the output :

	DVB Network Interface Manager
	Version 1.1.0-TVF (Build Tue Nov 04 02:19:17 2003)
	Copyright (C) 2003, TV Files S.p.A

	Device: /dev/dvb/adapter0/net0

	Looks like it worked. To not paste ifconfig output
twice, what I will tell you is,
	that MAC address of the dvb0_0 interface is all 0. So
I created another, net_start2.sh,
        and run it, to put proper MAC address of the
card, and here is the result (ifconfig):

	dvb0_0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
00:D0:D7:01:46:6D
          inet addr:10.1.1.1  Bcast:10.255.255.255
Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST
MTU:4096  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Base address:0x511

	Looks like it worked.

	Now, the problem is, that I don't know what should be
my next step ?

	I guess, to run dvbd with proper dvbd.conf, but any
dvbd I found doesn't work.
	(Yes, I was able to compile it without warnings but
it doesn't work).

	Then, I just wanted to check if can watch sat TV, so
I took ASTRA conf file,
	and copied it to ~/.szap/ and run szap :

root@gateway:/usr/local/src/sat/linuxtv-dvb-1.0.1/apps/szap#
./szap -n 030
	reading channels from file
'/root/.szap/channels.conf'
	zapping to 'RTL':
	sat 0, frequency = 10872 MHz V, symbolrate 27500000,
vpid = 0x0000, apid = 0x0c3f
	using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and
'/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
	opening frontend failed: No such device

	lsmod

	skystar2               22536   0  (unused)
	mt312                   6440   0
	dvb-core               43620   3  [skystar2 mt312]
	3c2000                125924   0  (unused)

	What is also confusing, is, that, for example, I have
3c2000 3com, gigabit network card.
	as you see from lsmod, I have it as module. when I
run ifconfig and bring up interface,
	lsmod, says in the third field, number 1 (used by 1).
When I bring dvb0_0 interface,
	with net_start.sh, it still says 0 (unused), for
skystar2 module ... hm ... I am
	wondering if I really set it up well, as it looks
from dmesg.

	Well, that's it.

	I hope you will be able to help me.

	To order questions again :

	1. What exactly do I need (which packages), to make
Internet connection work (with EON) ?
	2. Since, it looks that net0 device works, according
to net_start.sh, do I need to setup
	   these missing frontend0 and demux0 devices ? (

	   (It would be also great if you could tell
	   me, why they are not recognized. (I also tried
make insmod, put all modules, and still
	   didn't work). Devices exists in /dev/ for sure.

	3. If I everything did well, what sould be my next
step ?

	Please post as may advices as you have.

	regards,

	Mr. freelance :-D