[linux-dvb] Re: dvbstream and transcode

Hi

I'm also using dvbstream to do my dvb-recordings; I have 'if it ain't (too
badly) broken, don't fix it' system: Red Hat 8.0, dvb-oldstruct driver
checked out from cvs August 2002 and dvbstream, also from year 2002
(The system is getting broken -- maybe fedora and 2.6 -kernel is installed next).

If someone is adding these --at, --in, --for, etc. features to dvbstream
I'd like the one to consider also the following options.

dvbstream --at 20:00 --until 21:00 --extra 1,2 ...

In this case, recording would start at 19:59 and end at 21:02. also, if
time is between 19:59 and 21:02, recording would start immediately. I have
the --at and --until handled by script, but --extra is missing.
Well, that would not be too difficult to do, but I liked to get all this
current cruft below away:

CTIME=$MIN$SEC STIME=`echo $START | tr -d :` ETIME=`echo $END | tr -d :`
{ delay -q until $END; killall dvbstream; [ -f $NOPOWEROFF ] || poweroff; }&
[ $CTIME -ge $STIME -a $CTIME -lt $ETIME ] || delay -q until $START

--

I've been planning to start using vdr when updating this system, but this
in Dave Chapman's mail made me rethink:

"I personally don't use the "-ps" option any more - I always record and
archive programs in their original "TS" format.  This includes all
related PIDs (video, multiple audio, subtitles, teletext etc).  This is
the main reason I don't use VDR."

I'm happy with video and 'single audio' I get now, but I'd like to get
working subtitles. Is there anything available on Linux that can show
subtitles (other that one VDR plugin), and even better, anything that can
be used to convert subtitles to suitable format that those can be saved
to .ogm/.mkv files when transcoding video and audio?

--

I will be interested of that `dvbdemux' when it can create elementary
streams that keeps audio/video(/subtitles) in sync. I'm also willing

--

Oh yes, last and least, I'd like to have dvbstream that keeps the frontend
driver open until it stops recording -- when I update to "current"struct

--

Thanks for everyone involved creating linux dvb software to the state
it is now. I've been quite happy user.

Tomi