[linux-dvb] Re: dvbstream and transcode

> A tzap wrapper could well work. Someone else (sorry, I can't recall who)
> mentioned a channels.conf parser and I think that's where we're heading.

> > There is a library that almost does this : dvbsak. (cvs version is
> > ahead of tarball : tarball easier to build).
>
> dvbsak looks to be an excellent piece of code. Unfortunately, there
> seems to be very little documentation on it. A great pity!
>
> Like a lot of open source stuff in its early days we have a lot of good
> code, but its badly fragmented among several programs. For example, the
> zap family share functionality with dvbstream, dvbsak and undoubtedly
> others. Later on in the chain there are a load of manipulation programs
> written to perform various useful tasks.
>
> The problem is to try and join them all together. For example, just
> having one definitive library to read and write channels.conf files. A
> library interface to programs like dvbstream and dvbsak. These would all
> be really useful.

I've been inspired to write some doco for this. As I work on it
I'm putting versions up on
lynx http://members.optushome.com.au/jhonan/sak

The introduction is generic, but it gets going. The format
for retaining pid / program mapping is pretty good, being
heirarchical and something that mortals can inspect. Converting
to / from vdr format should be possible.

The system is call-back based.

It is not complete in certain areas, e.g. LNB handling, but
I think it represents a pretty good start.

My doco has sample code embedded, taken from the author's
dvbscan sample app.

This is early days yet, but the author has been keen to accept
patches.

> Other useful things would allow parsing of times so that I could say
> 1h10m rather than 4200.
>
> To me, the Things I'd Really Like are the named tuning ("BBC ONE") and
> the symbolic times (1h10 for 1 hour and 10 minutes).

No user should ever have to know about pids.

Jamie