[linux-dvb] Re: channels.conf syntax?

Jamie Honan <jhonan@optusnet.com.au> writes:

> Seriously, the vdr format is simple; one line represents
> one 'program' that a user would want to watch, but doesn't quite
> cover all bases.

Neverless I'll go with that for now ...

> Scanned information has to be merged with previous information.
> You have to have some way of having favorites, and things you
> don't really want to bother with. Again Australian digital television
> stations like to have the same program on different PID streams,
> you simply want to ignore the other two copies. So you want to
> remember that named services are to be associated with 'ignore'
> or 'favorite - football' on a rescan.

My current plan is to use the channels.conf file much like a frequency
table in analog TV.  xawtv's has tv station list with all that
meta-information like hotkeys.  That list just maintaines a reference
to the tuning information, i.e. something like "channel = E4" for the
analog tv (which the frequency table will map to a frequency).  For
DVB I just need a some ID (first column of channels.conf file?) I can
put into the tv station list and which I can use as reference to find
the tuning information.

> The information is really hierarchical.  For example, repeating the
> FEC, guard etc., is really pointless for a number of programs
> sharing the same frequency.

Why?  repeating doesn't hurt much as the table is autogenerated anyway
(and small enougth that we don't have to care about the memory it
takes), and a flat structure is easier to handle ...

  Gerd

--
You have a new virus in /var/mail/kraxel