[linux-dvb] Re: Reception performance with Avermedia DVB-T

Martin Stubbs wrote:
Holger

I have my Avermedia DVB-T card working successfuly with Mythtv but I am
finding that the reception performance is poor when I compare it to the
performance under Windows.

When I use tzap I get the FE_HAS_LOCK message maybe 50% of the time on
the best Mux. Scan will only identify the channels on the worst Mux
occassionally.
We have similiar problems with the MT7072 frontend on the fx2 USB board.
Either the driver is not yet optimal or the frontend has some serious
problems -- can you please try the Windows driver and report whether
this is working better? If so we should maybe exchange the firmware or
try to find out what the Avermedia people are doing differently in their
driver.
I can confirm that the card performs much better using the latest Avermedia
driver under Windows than it does with the linux sp887x driver.

Martin

Over the last couple od days I have modified the sp887x driver to read a firmware file using the tda1004 as a model. I have used the firmware file that is part of the latest Aver Windows software and I can report that the performance is significantly better. I can now receive all muxs and tzap reports a solid lock.
can you please report the changes you made and provide a patch? We'll be happy to apply it to CVS.

However the picture quality is still not perfect with some of the channels severely broken up and the best channels having break ups every few seconds. So it looks like other settings need to be changed. If we can't get anything from Avermedia it looks like an i2c probe will be the only answer.
yes, especially since wiring the simple milksop i2c sniffer takes probably even less time and efforts than trying to get in contact with the avermedia guys...
:)

Holger