[linux-dvb] Re: FF cards alter PTS'?

Am Dienstag, 18. November 2003 23:16 schrieben Sie:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> don't get me wrong, I appreciate your work. But I'm pretty angry
> about the situation that VDR is (I don't care whether willingly or
> not) endorsing these troublesome and expensive beasts since years.
>
> We have now at least since about two or three years cheap and good
> alternatives and there have been efforts to write DirectFB and
> Xine-backends for VDR but they never found their way into the
> mainstream source which means nothing else than that they are born
> dead.

Why should they ? The plugin you speak about exists since some months
(weeks). In the time i was on the vdr list the xine plugin is the first
real approach on having a software display and i have never seen a
patch for 1.0.x that tried that. Patches were really successfull even
if they were not in main vdr (think of AIO, who is running vdr w/o it ?
I guess 50% using it). Further the "solution" you think of has some
problems.

- video cards with a good tv-out - I know none with the quality of the
FF cards
- video cards with TV as second head - this may be possible
- drivers for a card with both of the above - none really available, at
least if you speak about the last years. I don't know if the ATI TV-OUT
on cards which are cheaper then the FF cards is know finally usuable.

If you want the 3 above + a quiet and powerfull machine it is rather
difficult and costs a lot more then a FF card. So if you say there is a
real alternative - even if i'm not the one who can complain a lot - you
are simply wrong.

Further, that vdr is running only on FF cards is simply wrong. There is
the DXR3 solution, and from what I have read the Xine-plugin is usuable
too allready (So with Oxine or XineFB there are allready solutions and
if people use it it will get better fast I guess.

At the end i don't think it is vdr that people let buy the FF cards, but
i don't want to speak about the real reasons here on the list ... If i
say that the long-time number one application under win was relying on
FF cards too i guess you know what i mean.

Steffen