[linux-dvb] Re: FF cards alter PTS'?

Johannes Stezenbach writes:
 > Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
 > >
 > > Well, AFAICS this "old hardware" is very widely used, and the main
 > > platform VDR is designed for. And judging from the download volume
 > > every new version of the "linvdr" distribution causes (according to
 > > Mirko Dölle) VDR must be rather popular ;-) So I guess this hardware
 > > will still be in use for quite a while, and I can see no adequate
 > > replacement around - but that may be due to my lack of market
 > > overview...
 >
 > The "funny" thing is that you can buy a full av7110 based set top box
 > for 150 Euro (sometimes cheaper), but the DVB-S/C cards are still
 > sold for 299 Euro here at Saturn. I would be happy if VDR were designed
 > to run on hardware which is cheaper and has better Linux developer support

Funny, or rather sad?
Considering what the parts on those cards cost, that they are probably
cheaper than 4 years ago, and that the cards still cost the same ...
The STBs you mention went down from about 500 Euro to 150 Euro in
the same time.
But the market makes the prices and I guess too many people are still
willing to pay that much lacking a better and/or cheaper "full
featured" alternative.

Ralph