[linux-dvb] Re: FF cards alter PTS'?

Am Mittwoch, 19. November 2003 02:19 schrieben Sie:
> Steffen Barszus wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 18. November 2003 23:16 schrieben Sie:
> >>Hi Klaus,
> >>
> >>don't get me wrong, I appreciate your work. But I'm pretty angry
> >>about the situation that VDR is (I don't care whether willingly or
> >>not) endorsing these troublesome and expensive beasts since years.
> >>
> >>We have now at least since about two or three years cheap and good
> >>alternatives and there have been efforts to write DirectFB and
> >>Xine-backends for VDR but they never found their way into the
> >>mainstream source which means nothing else than that they are born
> >>dead.
> >
> > Why should they ? The plugin you speak about exists since some
> > months (weeks). In the time i was on the vdr list the xine plugin
> > is the first real approach on having a software display and i have
> > never seen a patch for 1.0.x that tried that. Patches were really
> > successfull even if they were not in main vdr (think of AIO, who is
> > running vdr w/o it ? I guess 50% using it). Further the "solution"
> > you think of has some problems.
>
> I was mainly thinking of df-gp, the first VDR patch I know that
> worked on the frambuffer (http://df-gp.sourceforge.net/). The first
> NEWS entry is now about 19 months old.

I have seen that too. But this project was limited and is still limited
to Matrox cards. I have tried to get a good supported matrox card to no
avail (a matrox g400). It may be a good solution, but it is not
practicable in reality. If it would work with an ati rage 128 or the
like i guess it would had become a lot more popular. Now the
Xine-plugin is a lot more flexible than df-gp.

> > At the end i don't think it is vdr that people let buy the FF
> > cards, but i don't want to speak about the real reasons here on the
> > list ... If i say that the long-time number one application under
> > win was relying on FF cards too i guess you know what i mean.
>
> At least they managed to write a software decoder and OSD library, at
> least the skystar2 cards have been used now a long time for the
> purpose you're talking about.
>
> Holger

Its just a few months old and it was recommended till the end to get a
FF card.

Steffen