[linux-dvb] Re: FF cards alter PTS'?

Hi,
first sorry Holger, for sending that last pm, it was intended for the list,
please ignore it, my writing was not suitable for public anyways, sorry once more.

Holger Waechtler schrieb:

Steffen Barszus wrote:

Am Dienstag, 18. November 2003 23:16 schrieben Sie:

Hi Klaus,

don't get me wrong, I appreciate your work. But I'm pretty angry
about the situation that VDR is (I don't care whether willingly or
not) endorsing these troublesome and expensive beasts since years.

We have now at least since about two or three years cheap and good
alternatives and there have been efforts to write DirectFB and
Xine-backends for VDR but they never found their way into the
mainstream source which means nothing else than that they are born
dead.

Why should they ? The plugin you speak about exists since some months (weeks). In the time i was on the vdr list the xine plugin is the first real approach on having a software display and i have never seen a patch for 1.0.x that tried that. Patches were really successfull even if they were not in main vdr (think of AIO, who is running vdr w/o it ? I guess 50% using it). Further the "solution" you think of has some problems.
xine-plugin has actually a brother xinelibout-plugin which does use the xine lib directly, so no need to start xine manualy, only X must be configured to autostart and auto login a normal user (yack, like win9x).

both do work as expected, allthough some osd limmitations still apply due to resolution differences, but you can't use an old pc(too slow or too noisy), you will need to buy a new one, don't leave that out of the calculations,
when speaking of cheap.

I was mainly thinking of df-gp, the first VDR patch I know that worked on the frambuffer (http://df-gp.sourceforge.net/). The first NEWS entry is now about 19 months old.

df-gp suffers from exactly the problems i expected, 1st: only Matrox tv-out cards are suffcienty good ($$$), second: av-sync is not solved (19 month), third: de-interlace _is_ an immanent problem not solable without real de-interlacing software, which is cpu intensive and seldomly found as easy to use lib.(consider that dvb mpeg2 can even be mixed mode 50hz and 25hz in one picture, sometimes used on sky-news)

At the end i don't think it is vdr that people let buy the FF cards, but i don't want to speak about the real reasons here on the list ... If i say that the long-time number one application under win was relying on FF cards too i guess you know what i mean.

At least they managed to write a software decoder and OSD library, at least the skystar2 cards have been used now a long time for the purpose you're talking about.
which in turn relies on ds-filters not "found" easily, or am i wrong?

Holger

Regards Onno