[linux-dvb] Re: EPG data?

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Grant Totten wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering about the EPG (electronic program guide) data that's
> available to me vial Bell Expressvu.  I know there's EPG data somewhere
> in the stream, because other (Windows) apps can read it.
>
> I'm under the impression that the EPG data comes down in a "table", and
> the format of this is defined by an ETSI standard.  Is that a correct
> impression?  (Pardon the newbie questions here ;-)

That's pretty much the size of it.

> Further, I'm under the impression that nobody has implemented the code
> to pull down the EPG data in the linux-dvb drivers.  Is this true?

AFAIK that is true. But I don't think this is something you want to put in
the drivers. It should be a separate program or maybe a library.

> Can someone point me to the correct ETSI spec, so I can start reading?

The spec you want for DVB service information is ETSI EN 300 468

> Thanks,
> Grant

I recently added EPG parsing in iTele (well, 'now' and 'next' only, but
the structures are the same). The source code is available at
http://www.defyne.org/dvb/. If you're not a fan of C++ then look away now.
The files in there that you want are DPConnect/Streaming.hpp and the
PacketProcessor::processEIT method in DPConnect/TSHandler.cpp.

I doubt you can use it directly since I gave no thought to endianness
issues. There is also a full DVB and MPEG SI parser called mpsys which may
be of more use to you, although I found its code to be impenetrable. Find
it on google.

But anyway, parsing this stuff is really quite easy ... have fun!

{P^/