[linux-dvb] Re: channels.conf syntax?

Gerd Knorr wrote:
> Emard <emard@softhome.net> writes:
>
> > When dealing with DVB, you definitely need extensible and hierarchical
> > format. No simple /etc/passwd or /etc/smb.conf database format is sufficient
> > for the complexity of media sources we currently have in DVB.
>
> I doubt that.  vdr's channels.conf is passwd-like and seems to work well ...

I never enjoyed working with relational data bases, but one thing I
learned is that it pays to keep your data in a normalized form
(i.e. not repeat common information for every service, but put
transponders and services in two distinct "tables" and have the
service reference the transponder).

The downside of the relational model is that you then need unique
transponder IDs. The upside is that once you have those IDs you
can use them throughout the system.

E.g. the samba style format proposed by
   From: Nico <nsabbi@tiscali.it>
   Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:55:41 +0100
([source] ... [mux] ... [service]) had a nice data model, but the
mux-IDs were manually assigned names, not something a scan tool
would produce.

Johannes