[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-kernel bugs

Wolfgang Thiel wrote:
Many thanks to all of you trying to track down my problems with the SS2:-)

My configuration:
- Debian Gnu/Linux running a 2.4.22 kernel from ftp.kernel.org.
- gcc 2.95.4 (Debian)
- one FF card (frontend: ves1x93: Alps-BSRV)
- one SS2 card rev. 2.6B (frontend: stv0229)
- drivers: dvb-kernel CVS 031116
- dvbstream from CVS Dvbtools 031114, patched to *not* close the
frontend if not requested from the command line (the current dvbstream
seems to have the same default now as well.) - scan and szap from from linuxtv-dvb-1.0.1.tar.gz

For my tests, I only loaded the modules needed for the SS2, *not* the
ones needed for the FF.

I didn't have much time yet, but so far I can tell:
- I found no way to get the full transport stream, no matter how many (valid)
pids dvbstream was supposed to stream, with the last being 8192
[I used 30w, 11811v, with its (radio) pids 256-...]
- With szap -r and then cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 |mplayer - everything is
fine.
- But: scan -c is not able to set all relevant filters (the one on the
PMT seems to work fine, but not the filters for the different PATs).
At the same time, cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 stops to deliver any
data:
I have to kill mplayer and szap; restarting szap and mplayer usually
works, but not always; if it doesn't work, reloading the driver, some-
times, doesn't work: dvb-core is used by some ghost and cannot be
unloaded. Sometimes, this then even crashes the kernel: I only get some
flashing CapsLock/ScrollLock leds on the keyboard, and that's it :-(
[And no oops in the logs.]
- Using pid 0x2000 for streaming seems to return the data of filters that
other running programs have set already, but not all the streams, and not
very reliably (first comes - first gets the data?).

I'll make more tests when I find the time.
Can you please disable all packet_header checks in skystar2.c, near line 1851? The CheckPID() code looks not correct for me, especially since it doeas only one check for all packets in the DMA buffer. At the end all this functionality is again implemented in the demux code, so you should be safe to simply disable it.

Holger