[linux-dvb] Re: FF cards alter PTS'?

[sorry edward - this post was incorrectly sent to you first - it should have gone to the list]

> > tv-out:
> > the only tv-outs that came close to the FF´s
> > were epia´s
>
> Really?  The epia has very high quality tv out?  That's interesting

its IMHO better as every current gfx i got to
test. will test a new ati 9600 xt/tv next days
and report if someone is interested.

> As you point out the NVida has often so, so tv out quality, but I have
> an MSI fx5200 which is pretty reasonable if you tweak the settings.
> Visual sharpness at 720x576 is pretty good really (for some reason the
> card won't do 768x576 which is a bind...)

hmm, will try to test such card too.

> I have agonised over how to get a quiet PC.  There are a few sites
> discussing techniques, but in a nutshell I found that a decent large
> heatsink on a P4 (something like an slk900), with quiet and very low
> speed fans (vantec 80mm), and plenty of airflow through the case
> (120mm fans at 5v) gives a very, very quiet machine.  The power supply
> is a german make which has no fans, just a huge heatsink out of the
> back, and by far the loudest thing in the machine is now the HD
> (5400rpm Maxtor 300Gb)

yeah, but if you sum that up even with a
cheap celeron you could easily purchase an
epia and a ff-card.
and i would not trust your solution too much in
hot summers like last one.

and my wish is to have a nice case like this
(sorry german only):
http://www.michael- dieckmann.de/projekt_luefterlose_pc.htm

but i doubt that you can build a system with a
low profile case like that with p4 and hd and
get enough cool air thru it.

> Most of this is very relevant for even epia machines since they need
> some fans.

nope. as you can see above you could build
an epia system without any fans, especially if
u you use an external PS.

> I doubt though that you could rival the TT tv output easily,
> especially at a comparable price.
>
> The price thing though is not the only issue for a lot of people.
> Have a glance at www.avsforum.com and see how many people are prepared
> to pay whatever it takes to get a really good system working.  VDR
> would help quite a few of them very much, but they are usually scared
> of linux.  For many others, it is not an option because they have
> plasma screens or projectors and want to control resolution, or use
> fancy software deinterlacers, or software filtering.  Also software
> processing of audio is becoming more common (eg DRC).

i think there are 2 different species out there.

we´ve got some ppl who got a bunch of noisy
equipment in their living room anyway and
maybe no wife/girlfriend is complaining ;-)
they want all that stuff: surfin on the sofa,
watching everything and do a lot of
processing while eating chips ;-)
they dont care anyway about some fans
hushing. so its ok that you have that big ugly
block sittin in your livin room making noise like
some jets - just turn up the volume, we´ve got
enough speakers hangin around.
(you will find some variants with small blocks
but all type of colours blinkin out of the case
etc. etc.)

other ppl (you guess: like me) are a bit more
hmmm settled. (for example i´ve had to
remove that big (old) jbl speakers because
they hurt the harmony in the living room. i
faught back long till i found some nice italian
speakers quarter sized which performed good
even with jazz ;-)
to have peace in the house i must make vdr
living room compatible (like my woman reads
it). consequence is a nice case, absolutely
quiet, small ... you name it.
but i can live with no-tv-surfin, no divx or other
processing intensive apps etc. etc. just tv, dvd
and mp3, maybe teletext and thats it.
to do something serious i would depart to the
office anyway.

i think most ppl claiming "you can do all that in
soft" have no such constraints.

costs ? are an issue too. for example for
some friends of mine who would like a vdr
after they saw what it can do.
and some of them tried to do it the "windoofs"
way, harhar.
but its not that important, just nice if you could
build a package for roughly the same costs as
a commercial HD-STB.

> Anyway, the latest resync of FFMpeg has fixed all the av-sync issues
> for DVB with MythTv and I hope the two projects might now start to
> feed good ideas from each other.  For people looking for a purely
> software approach to DVB playback I would definitely refer you to have
> a play with the latest mythtv cvs.  VDR is still very much more
> developed though and I hope it will get a really good software based
> decoder at some point in the future, but it's going to take someone to
> develop one first (I can't see it being Klaus if he is really happy
> with the excellent quality of the hardware output on the TT cards!)

i was on viaarena´s forums yesterday and i
have good hope that epias mpeg acc will work
soon - that would be a real nice solution and
you would need a budget only.

wbr.tja...

--
thomas jagoditsch