[linux-dvb] Re: xbox with usb dvb box

Jim Dummett wrote:
hi.

sorry to pile in here with a real newbie question but i hope someone might be able to help me. i've searched around on this forum and elsewhere but haven't been able to find any answers...

i've won an xbox in a competition and, having no need for a games machine, would like to turn it into a linux-based PVR. the xbox however doesn't have any PCI slots so i'd need to use a USB DVB box connected to one of the xbox's controller ports. i'm planning to use mythtv for the software.

anyway, my questions:

1. is the nova-t USB model supported under linux?
Yes, but be aware of the fact that the Nova-T USB boxes can only receive UHF channels, no VHF channels (At least the one I had on my desk - ).

Another alternative is the DEC2000-T.

2. am i right in assuming that the USB model of the nova-t only sends the stream for a single channel at a time? as i understand it, the PCI model provides the whole multiplex (allowing recording of 2 channels on the same multiplex at once) but i'm guessing that there isn't the bandwidth on USB to do this. is that correct?
yes.

Holger