[linux-dvb] Re: nova pci dvb-t + 2.6.0-test10 kernel?

Hello Gerd,

Thats just the standard suse distribution kernel, not sure which version
that is.  Load messages look like this:

  DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI).
  TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI adapter 0 has MAC addr = 00:d0:5c:22:1a:19
  tda1004x: Detected Philips TDA10045H.
  tda1004x: Detected Philips TDM1316L tuner.
  DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (Philips TDA10045H)...
^^^^^^^

Ok, you're using the DVB driver. Short history lesson:
http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/

- DVB (from DVB cvs tree): monolithic DVB driver (ie. all saa7146 drivers munged together in "dvb-ttpci" driver) following API version 3 of the DVB API, with Video4Linux-1 interface for full featured cards

- dvb-kernel (from "dvb-kernel" cvs tree): each class of saa7146 devices has a separate driver, following API version 3 of the DVB API, Video4Linux-2 interface for full-featured cards.

Currently there are the following drivers: (dvb-ttpci is omitted for 2.6 kernels)
- dvb-ttpci: full featured cards
- dvb-ttpci-budget: simple budget cards
- dvb-ttpci-budget-ci: budget cards with ci connector
- dvb-ttpci-budget-av: budget cards with analog video in (knc-1 cards)
- dvb-ttpci-budget-patch: full-featured cards with hardware patch to
make them behave like budget cards (yes, people do these things... ;-)

Hm, I don't think that anything tda1004x related did not went into 2.6, but there is a bunch of patches already waiting. I'm holding these back, because Linus Torvalds currently refuses to accpect non-critical patrches as you probably know.

Yes, I know, I have a batch of patches too :-)
Any place where I can fetch these?
The driver that's currently in 2.6 is in the "dvb-kernel" tree. You have two options:

- build it against your currently running 2.4 by looking at the "build-2.4" directory. Have a look at the README there. (basically you do a "./getlinks && make", then you load the driver from that directory, you don't need to install anything)

- use the "makelinks" script to -- well -- make links from the dvb-kernel CVS to an installed 2.6 kernel tree, ie. replace the 2.6 driver files with the ones from the CVS. Now rebuild the kernel with the new drivers.

So there are no ready patches for 2.6 available. I usually do the makelinks method and diff between that kernel and the latest official kernel version, then sort the resulting diff by hand.

Any debug switches I can turn on?  Is the load order important?  That
seems to be the case with the 2.4 version, loading tda1004x before
dvb-ttpci seems not to work ...
Perhaps someone else can comment on this. In theory not: the i2c bus and the device driver register themselves, the core logic then tries to connect these two, ie. lets the device probe on any i2c bus. Load order shouldn't be important, but there might be issues with firmware loading.

I would try the "build-2.4" method mentioned above, then set "tda1004x_debug" for the tda driver. The "saa7146_debug" variable for "saa7146.o" will affect the "budget" module debug verbosity. Have a look at include/media/saa7146.h. There the different macros (DEB_S, DEB_D) are described. Using saa7146_debug=7 should suffice.

  Gerd
CU
Michael.