[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-s Card - no picture

Benedikt wrote:
Hi folks,
After searching in the list, I couldn't find a thread matching my problem, so I am going to ask you.
I just bought a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-s Card with a budget saa7146 chip.
And I use it in a system consisting of:
Athlon Barton XP 2500+ Processor, Asus A7N8X-X Mainboard,
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 from Asus
Creative SoundBlaster Live!

Because of the new Hardware I use the kernel 2.6.0-test9 on a debian system.
In the kernel configuration I chose the kernel modules for v4l and dvb support.
The dvb-utils and libs I downloaded with apt-get and after some tests I could load the dvb modules and run szab. According to some sites and to szap the card uses the devices in /dev/dvb/adapter0/.
And here my problem begins. When I start szap with szap -n channelnumber, I get an output which seems to be ok: szap -n 003
reading channels from file '/home/blackmessage/.szap/channels.conf'
zapping to '3sat':
sat 0, frequency = 11954 MHz H, symbolrate 27500000, vpid = 0x00d2, apid = 0x00dc
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
status 1f | signal aa19 | snr c68d | ber 00007000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal ab3b | snr c6bd | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK

So far, so good. But now when I try to start tvtime pointing to the device /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 I get no picture. The same result I get with mplayer - < /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 (mplayer message is: "... Playing - Reading from stdin..." Then it hangs) I also tried xawtv which crashes with a seg fault and xine, which brings a similar result as mplayer.
If I am right /dev/video0 isn't the right device for dvb-s cards, if I it should run, it doesn't.

In conclusion it seems to me that the dvb card is working and able to play but I can't play any channels with a play back application.
I hope anybody can tell me what else I can do...

Try

szap -r -n 003

instead.

Niklas