[linux-dvb] dvb-kernel slowness?

Some time (weeks, possibly months) ago while looking at dvb cvs updates
i noticed the state the timing/delay code was in... I fixed some of the
most obvious things, but as Holger didn't want to change this in the
dvb branch, and i wasn't going to switch to dvb-kernel then, i just kept
running with what i had; only tweaked a few timeouts while i was looking
at the code anyway, then basically forgot about this, as it became just
yet another local patch.

Now i finally switched to 2.6.0-test10, and after loading the current
dvb-kernel CVS driver imagine my surprise when i found that things were
so slow that it appeared almost unusable. Where previously i could
switch a channel in a fraction of a second, it now seemed like it took
several... well, it's probably not _that_ bad, but it certainly feels
like that.

Makes me wonder whether the drivers really are that slow and everybody
just got used to this, or if this is something special about my system...
Does anybody else see this?

(full TT1.3 DVB-S + kernel2.6.0-test10 + SMP + k.preemption; i think
 things were not much better w/ DVB and 2.4, it's just that at that
 time i never tried it w/ a stock kernel, and couldn't exclude some
 other local change causing it; given my recent 2.6 experience above i now
 think it's unlikely that any other patch had anything to do with it)

After updating my dvb changes i now have a dvb-kernel that's almost
as fast as what i got used to previously. This means eg. that switching
between channels on different satellites takes considerably less time
than switching between ones on the same one, but using the stock driver.
Even though the former involves a diseq switch, and powering up/down
a LNB...

A q&d dvb-kernel patch that i'm running with right now is attached; it
was done during a few commercial breaks and needs a cleanup, but if
anybody else is seeing the problem they can try whether it helps...

[i've removed some changes that shouldn't be relevant in order to make
 things more readable; the most important changes seem to be the
 av7110.c:OutCommand() ones]

artur