[linux-dvb] Re: 1.0.2 Release?

Holger Waechtler wrote:
Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

Niklas Peinecke wrote:

Holger Waechtler wrote:

Niklas Peinecke wrote:

Hello all,

I keep reading on several lists and forums that there should be a 1.0.2 release including latest drivers for newer skystar2 cards and all the other improvements and bugfixes. Instead of backporting the whole stuff from dvb-kernel we should derive this release directly

from dvb-kernel. But how? IMHO we have two options:

1) Leave the structure of DVB as is and copy all the program files

from dvb-kernel. Don't know, if this would work, probably fails

because of added files?

2) Take the structure from dvb-kernel and modify the top-level Makefile to take "build-2.4" as its default target.

I'd vote for (2) and would suggest to provide an additional dvb-apps package. I'd call the release 1.1.

Would you like to write the toplevel Makefile and also add a DVB/-alike 'make release' target?

I can do that (time window: approx. 1 week ;) ).
What is the "release" target supposed to do (can I just copy'n'paste it from DVB)?
Are there any other targets needed?

Please don't do that.

I've already created a new dvb-apps CVS tree into which I want to
move the the userspace stuff from the old "DVB" tree.

?

The goal is to separate drivers and libs/applications into
two separate packages, mainly because the DVB drivers are
already shipped with 2.6.x so you don't need to download them
again.

I also have no plans of doing a DVB-1.0.2 release, once
dvb-apps is populated I would rather release both a dvb-kernel
and dvb-apps package and officially deprecate the old DVB tree.

hmmm - wasn't the plan to freeze the dvb-kernel code, package it with a easy-to-use toplevel Makefile and then release it for standalone builds?

driver and apps should get distributed seperatly, but that's exactly what I suggested above...

The release target we've been talking about is a Makefile rule that removes CVS tags from the tree and creates a clean tarball, this can surely copied from the DVB/-Makefile, not? Don't know off-hand what minor adjustments would need to get done to get it working, though...

I agree with Holger. Of course it's better to have a release suitable for 2.6, but it will take some more time until 2.6 kernels are really common: Most people have working vdr-boxes based on existing 2.4 kernels and they just like to use some e-bayed cheap skystar2 as a third card. I'm sure they won't like to upgrade their kernels for that. It will also take some time until 2.6 is established in dists like LinVDR, thus we need a release as a bridge until then.

So, why not just take dvb-kernel just the way it is now and only provide a top level Makefile that works for 2.4 kernels?

[Sidenote: The README says, that the build process does not work for <2.4.23. Is this true? I remember that it used to say <2.4.20 because of the v4l2 stuff.]

Niklas