[linux-dvb] Re: stability problems + closing and re-opening thefrontend

Valsecchi Patrick wrote:

All,

Here is the test code. It's butt ugly, but does the job and it's short. You need a satellite tuner and need to edit the dvbBug.c file to put two frequencies you have on your dish. Last run, it crashed the ARM in 7516 iterations. So it may take some time.

Is it possible it's a firmware bug? If yes, who is developping it? Do we have the source code?

Thanks
Yes it's possibly a firmware bug introduced after 0.9.4 because that release doesn't show the behavior or at least not within 1000 channel changes or signal-less operation.

Guido Fiala, Andreas Share and others have tried working on this just a couple of weeks ago see
http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/2004/03-2004/msg00521.html

The firmware has to be closed because of licensing issues and NDA for cryto stuff. Johannes Stezenbach at convergence amongst a few others is a firmware wizard and said in the thread: "IIRC Ralph said that he tried to debug this in the firmware, and
the ARM just hangs inside a RTSL call. There isn't much we can do then."

Not sure what the latest consensus as to whether this is confined to Rev 1.3. full featured cards only, but it seems so.