[linux-dvb] Re: stability problems + closing and re-opening the frontend

On Friday 02 April 2004 18:11, you wrote:
> Valsecchi Patrick wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Here is the test code. It's butt ugly, but does the job and it's short.
> > You need a satellite tuner and need to edit the dvbBug.c file to put two
> > frequencies you have on your dish. Last run, it crashed the ARM in 7516
> > iterations. So it may take some time.
> >
> > Is it possible it's a firmware bug? If yes, who is developping it? Do we
> > have the source code?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Yes it's possibly a firmware bug introduced after 0.9.4 because that
> release doesn't show the behavior or at least not within 1000 channel
> changes or signal-less operation.
>
> Guido Fiala, Andreas Share and others have tried working on this just a
> couple of weeks ago see
> http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/2004/03-2004/msg00521.html
>
> The firmware has to be closed because of licensing issues and NDA for
> cryto stuff. Johannes Stezenbach at convergence amongst a few others is
> a firmware wizard and said in the thread: "IIRC Ralph said that he tried
> to debug this in the firmware, and
> the ARM just hangs inside a RTSL call. There isn't much we can do then."

That's right - and as was to read at the vdr-ml i traced it down to the
tuner-feed of the av7110. If the ves1893 (the frontend-chip) does not feed
any data or interrupts in the ARM, the ARM is perfectly stable, i currently
reached an uptime of 6 days without ARM-crash while in continuous replay,
heavy OSD-load, changes in Playmode, jumps etc etc ...

However, this is only a solution to systems without a dish, as the chip is
required to decode the Sat-signal.

I had hoped this would help the driver developers to fix this in the firmware,
but maybe there is simply no way to circumvent this.

Guido