[linux-dvb] Re: stability problems + closing and re-opening the frontend

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:22:22AM +0200, Valsecchi Patrick wrote:

> In my kind of application (monitoring) I don't really care if I loose
> some packets. Would it be possible to reset the firmware when that
> happens? That's what I wanted to try to do by closing the firmware and
> re-opening it.
>
> Maybe when can trigger that reset when the "waiting for command idle"
> problem appears. Then send back the tune command. That way, we recover
> the card without manual operations and without the user level to
> notice it (maybe a slower tune, though). Or, if you guys think it's
> too radical, maybe add a reset ioctl. That way, the user level can
> solve the problem by itself.

Well, the "ARM crashed!" message means that the reset is already
happening, but the code which should do error recovery is obviously
broken.

> I'll try to find a "budget" card. Seems like those are a bit more stable, isn't it?

Yes. At least there is no closed source firmware on them.
And they are capable of capturing full transport streams
for analysis.

Johannes