[linux-dvb] Re: Continuity counter inconsistency

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:05:47PM +0200, Marcus Metzler wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach writes:
>  > Oliver Maier wrote:
>  > > > >
>  > > > > playing around I found a transponder where the broadcast company
>  > > > > decided to use nearly random continuity counters (CC). Is this
>  > > > > permited by the DVB standard?
>  > > >
>  > > > Which transponder is this?
>  > >
>  > > On Astra 19.2E 10832/H symbolrate 22000. A good example is pid 0x0fa1.
>  >
>  > For me the bit error rate is too high to get useful output.
>  > On pid 0x0fa1 I get a few packets every one in a while, all
>  > with the error indicator set -- no wonder the CC seems to be random.
>  >
>  >

> Aren't there some (only one?) encrypted channels on that
> transponder. My guess would be that the randomness in the continuity
> counter has something to do with that.

Yep. Free-X is doing nasty things, and, IMHO, these things really are
*not* DVB compliant.
How do they call this "CA system"? "Neotion SHL" ?
Someone should stop them, but other parties might want to sell special
CAMs for this provider as well...
What did they have to sign to get the caid ranges at dvb.com? Where's
a good lawyer?

"Money makes the world go around..."