[linux-dvb] Firmware loading troubles, HELP!

Hi all,

I've been trying to build kernels 2.6.4, 2.6.5, 2.6.5-mm3 with DVB
support compiled in. I have Nova-T and AverTV DVB cards.

The kernels build fine, but it always complains that it can't find the
firmware in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware on boot and hence the frontend is
not initialised

Two problems:
1. the files are there
2. it ignores attempts to change the firmware location

I believe that other people have found and fixed this, but after a whole
day trying, I can't find a solution.

For ease of use, I would really like to have the DVB support compiled
in, but if it has to be modules, can anyone tell me what I need to run
on start-up to load them (novice instructions pls).

I notice that the vanilla 2.6.2 kernel works fine, but sadly I get
'stdin: is not a tty' if I try to ssh to my linux box and I can't find a
solution to that either. Anyone know what to do?

I'm using Mandrake 10 if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,

Paul