[linux-dvb] Re: HotPlug and SAA1746

I would start by building a kernel that doesn't use the dvb drivers that are included i.e. don't select dvb devices in xconfig (I'm using 2.6.3 so I don't know if they have changed in 2.6.5).  Then I would build dvb-kernel from the latest CVS.

You should also check that you have hotplug support enabled in your kernel.  I have my firmware in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.  This works fine.

If you run /sbin/hotplug you'll get a list of hotplug agents you have available but dmesg should give you some better clues as to what is going on. I see this:

ttusb_init_controller: dsp-version: 0.0
DVB: registering new adapter (Technotrend/Hauppauge Nova-USB).
tda1004x: Detected Philips TDA10046H.
tda1004x: Detected Philips TD1316 tuner.
DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (Philips TDA10046H)...

drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver Technotrend/Hauppauge USB-Nova

Ignore the usb bits - I have a nova-t usb.

The script that I was running when I was trying to get all this working was:

modprobe via_agp
modprobe via-v4l-drv
modprobe evdev
modprobe v4l1-compat
modprobe v4l2-common
modprobe video-buf
insmod /usr/src/dvb-kernel/build-2.6/dvb-core.ko
insmod /usr/src/dvb-kernel/build-2.6/tda1004x.ko
insmod /usr/src/dvb-kernel/build-2.6/dvb-ttusb-budget.ko

Don't worry about the first two via bits (unless you have a via mainboard).
Since I have a nova-t usb, the last module I load is different from you.

There should be a pause when you load tda1004x.ko while the firmware is downloaded.  scan and tzap should work fine now.  Once you have it running you can obviously create some appropriate scripts to start and stop things.