[linux-dvb] Re: budget-ci CI interface testing

On Sunday 18 April 2004 01:03, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> From: "Kenneth Aafløy" <ke-aa@frisurf.no>
>
> > Throughout all this fuzz about budget-ci, I have kept scratching my
> > head trying to figure out if this new code (with little or some
> > modification) could fit the KNC1/Typhoon/Terratec (budget-av) class
> > of cards also?
> >
> > What kind of chips are you actually communicating with through the
> > saa7146?
>
> The TT budget CI is as cheap as it gets: The transport stream is routed
> through a few latches (controlled via GPIO1) from the demodulator through
> the CI to SAA7146A port D1_A (normal operation is through D1_B, where the
> demodulator outputs are connected in parallel).
>
> The CI control interface is implemented via the DEBI, with a GAL/PLD
> translating the DEBI protocol to the CI protocol. Comparing the protocols,
> a simple 1:1 translation of some signals should work for e.g. CI I/O port
> accesses, if you accept some minor timing specification violations (which
> may just be what breaks some CAMs :-()...
>
> So the TT budget CI consists of only a few latches and a GAL/PLD, that's
> it. No real "chip" in there.

Thanks a lot for a great answer Robert. After lingering around a bit in the
saa7146 specs I figured how the picture was to look like. I also noticed that
the KNC1 have the AV interface control hooked up to gpio0, so that probably
tells us that the KNC1 and clones is pretty much similar to the TT budget
card. Which makes me want to move the AV extension from the KNC1 card into
the budget-ci driver, and add the pciid for KNC1 and clones to it. Remove the
budget-av driver, and rename the budget-ci to budget. Sound sane coming from
a newbie? :)

I don't have the CI interface for my Typhoon card, but I'm seriously
considering ordering one after this answer, which makes me quite
confident that making it work with the code Andrew is working on will be
fairly trivial.

Thanks again!

--

Kenneth Aafløy