[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-kernel CVS branched for Linux 2.4

Thomas Koch wrote:

> The dvb-kernel thing (in my opinion) ist far away from the quality of
> the old 2.4 "DVB" driver (stability, liveview, diseqc).

Could you please be more specific? If we don't know what
your problems are with dvb-kernel, we cannot address them.

AFAIK most of the stability problems are in the av7110 firmware,
and I've spend quite some time searching for them (without
success, though).

Anyway, the dvb-kernel-1.1.1 release is a bit old, but
current dvb-kernel CVS works way better for me than DVB ever did.

> I found it very confusing what happens with the DVB driver lately.
> First i heard that the old (for me very stable) DVB tree is obsolete,
> what means that no further development is done for it. Further
> development is only done in the dvb-kernel (which contains now both,
> 2.4 and 2.6) tree. Now the things are changing again, dvb-kernel is now
> only 2.6 and... what does now happen with the DVB Tree?
>
> From my point of view (i'm not involved in the DVB development in any
> way) this is more then confusing. I've get the impression that most of
> the energy is wasted in strutural changes instead of making the hole
> thing more stable (which i think is the major thing to complain about
> the DVB driver).

With the integration of the DVB drivers into the mainline kernel
we comitted ourselves to maintain the drivers. And that means
that we need to adapt to changes in the kernel APIs and driver
infrastructure.

You are of course free to ignore our efforts, but saying that
"energy is wasted in strutural changes" is quite offensive.

Regards,
Johannes