[linux-dvb] Re: tt dvb-c 2.1 and signal quality

Torbjörn Jansson <mailto:torbjorn.jansson@mbox200.swipnet.se> wrote:
> Ralph Metzler wrote:
>>  > > I get more errors when running setiathome while using
>> czap but this
>>  > > is on a computer that has lots of errors in windows as well.  >
>>  >  > > It's strange that signal quality is affected by cpu usage
>>  (for better or > worse), I mean isn't everything done in hardware
>>  when I use the tvout from > the card?
>>  >
>>  > Is dvb cards more sensitive to interference than other tv
>> cards? If so where
>>  > is the interference coming from? Powersuply? Cpu? Or
>> something else?
>>

>> I had a case myself where interferences started after upgrading from
>> a 600 MHz Duron to a 1200 MHz Duron. High CPU usage directly
>> caused dropouts
>> in a version 1.3 full-featured TT DVB-S card. Cooling the
>> card only helped a
>> little. Exchanging the power supply solved it. The faster Duron just
>> needed more power and the DVB card was very susceptible to
>> slight variations
>> (or even small dropouts) in the power, especially when the
>> demodulator was already running hot.
>>

> My problem is the reverse, but I was going to get a new
> powersuply for my other computer, so when I get it I gues I
> coud switch them and see if it helps.
> I'll make sure I get a powersuply that is a bit more powefull than
> the one I have now.
>
> Now that I think about it, maybe the dvb card and powesuply
> is the cause of some of the other problems I have had with the
> computer. A few days ago I got some strange lockups, it looked like
> disk problems. At that time I had not loaded any dvb drivers
> The next boot I loaded the dvb drivers and I have not seen
> any of the disk problems again.
>
> So maybe the powersupply is not powefull enough, so it caused other
> problems.

I just though I shoud post a litle follow-up on the dvb problems I had.

I changed my powersupply from a 300W to 350W and now all my problems seems
to be gone. No more weird kernel oops when mythtv is recording and a lot
better signal quality on the dvb card.
If I run czap, uncorectable errors is always zero no matter what channel I
tune to.

I have been using the new powersupply for more than a week now, and so far
it has not crashed.

The powersupply is more important than I first thought when I got the dvb
card. I don't know if the problem was caused by not having enough power or
that the new powersupply is of better quality, maybe a combination of both.