[linux-dvb] Re: Software CI

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 11:53:55AM +0000, Richard -=[]=- wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It is a touchy subject, but what I am wanting to get it a budget-DVB card
> and have the same device node structure as an expensive card..  My logic is
> if (no_CI)
> {
>  initialise_software_descrambler();
> }
>
> The CSA is quite easy but obviously takes CPU cycles as apposed to the
> hardware version. I would like to link mgcam or radegast or similar so I
> can use a dedicated PC as a multimedia station.
>
> Jusding for the hesitation, is there a problem with CSA or something like
> that? legalities?

There is software CAM/CSA available for VDR, which works with budget cards
without any CI/CAM hardware.

You can use it to view encrypted channels with your original subscriptioncard,
without having to buy (expensive) CAM and/or CI-enabled dvb-card.

CSA in software seems to take a lot of cpu power.. you need something like
600MHz Intel P3 only for doing CSA decryption.

You put the subscription card to simple phoenix-interface, which acts as a
smartcard reader. I think it would be quite easy to modify that software to
use any (standard) smartcard-reader..

I don't see anything illegal with this approach.. maybe it could be
supported directly in the dvb-driver level too..

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen