[linux-dvb] Re: bttv & twinhan thoughts

> In linux, if I forget to tell bttv the card type, it hard locks. I'd love
> to see this behaviour change as it's a major usability issue.

Known problem.  It's next to impossible to fix as the card can't be
detected, at least not the original one.  Some of the clones (the one
sold by pinnacle in germany for example) have a sane PCI Subsystem ID,
can be detected without manual invention and thus loading bttv will
not kill the machine.

> I'm willing to invest some more time in hardlocking the machine debugging
> this, but I feel it is going to require some changes in the bttv driver
> which I'm concerned will impact other cards.

Yup, that was true for any attempt to fix that I've seen so far.

As initializing the analog video stuff makes the card lock the PCI bus
I see to way around this.  Basically you must not touch any of the video
registers, which is impossible to do without breaking the analog cards,
at least the ones which also don't have a PCI Subsystem ID.  Unless you
find some way to detect the card without the ID ...

  Gerd

--
http://bigendian.bytesex.org