[linux-dvb] Re: Help with J2 RGB

On 30/04/2004, at 12:37 AM, Ragnar Sundblad wrote:

--On den 29 april 2004 20:05 +1000 Michal Dobrzynski <michal_dobrzynski@mac.com> wrote:

10. About 40 hours ago I started to attempt to make my own J2 to SCART
socket. Destroyed a perfectly good (and unique) VGA cable based on tips
on here. The entire cable is shielded (is this ground?) with the R, G and
B wires independently shielded (is this R, G and B ground?).
Unique VGA cable - if you needed it, why did you use it for this? :-)
Yes indeed. Why? I guess I imagined that I could simply reconnect the connector making a shorter cable. But after all the difficulty of soldering I fear even trying it. It was so neat before and I have no hope of getting anything close to it. All other VGA cables I have appear to not be specially shielded (they are too thin and flexible) and certainly wouldn't have separately shielded R, G and B. They do not sell such cable here either and in any case I could actually check the construction of this cable BEFORE cutting it up so at least I knew it was the type of cable I needed rather than gambling by buying expensive VGA cables just for cutting up.

The shield is only ground if you connect it to ground, but that
is normally a good idea.
J2 ground or SCART ground? Or both as I have?

At the J2 end I connected the ground to the shielding and each of the RGB
grounds to the shielding also. At the SCART end I connected a 75 Ohm
resistor between R, G and B and between their respective shielding (all
connected to ground at J2). R, G and B as well as the composite sync
signal and left and right audio are connected from J2 to the SCART socket.
I think that if you don't use a buffer (amplifier), you should
rather serial terminate the signal, like so:

<J2>-----<75 ohm resistor>-----<cable>-----<scart connector>

I am not sure about this, comments are welcome!
So you think the termination should be applied at the J2 end rather than at the SCART end?

This is also a common way to connect a buffer amplifier.

Also, as you hopefully know, you must be very very careful if
you don't use buffers, as these outputs seems to be very very
easy to fry if you for example happen to connect the signal
before the ground.
I still don't really understand what these buffers are or how they work. I have noticed what appears to be a burnt out trace on my FF DVB-S card but I don't know whether it was always there or not and it doesn't appear to affect the cards performance. The trace leads to one of the connections to the PCI slot.

/ragge

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Michal