[linux-dvb] Re: Trying to get a ``polished'' MPEG stream fromDVB

Martin Kenny wrote:

Hi,

Jim Darby wrote:

I can't be the only one trying to transcode DVB output. What does
everyone else do?

I had something similar with replex. I'd get a whole series of these errors, followed by something like:
ringbuffer overflow 132<184 629145
ring buffer overflow 629145

My workaround was to use mencoder something like:
cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 | mencoder -of mpeg -ovc copy -oac copy - -o ps.mpg

This worked well, except when the cat received errors from the dvr device -- this would stop my recording, as cat would exit. I worked around that by writing a small C program, imaginatively called dvrcat, that simply logged the errors to stderr, and ignored them. This setup has been working for me for a couple of months, producing program streams that work well with mplayer, VideoLAN and WinDVD.

I've recently added -tskeepbroken to the mencoder command-line, as I had a problem once, where mencoder got confused and quit before it's stdin had been closed.

recently I fixed a bug in mplayer's demuxer that skipped too little data in case of errors, causing some artefacts during decoding.
Now broken streams should appear much more resistent to errors, so you should try to remove -tskeepbroken.

Nico