[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-S with CI card to buy

On Friday 11 June 2004 21:45, Torbjörn Jansson wrote:
> I have a technotrend dvb-c rev 2.1 card and I have had lots of problems.
> I don't know if the dvb-s cards is anything like mine or not.
>
> I had lots of problem with bad reception, after lots of trouble with it and
> trying to find the cause of the problems, I got a lot better reception
> after I switched the powersupply.
> So it seems atleast my dvb-c card was extra sensitive to bad power supply.

So was the crappy power-supply the root of all your troubles, or have you had
other problems as well? I guess the cards ain't some kind of magic device
which can filter away noise from a crappy psu, hmm? Keep in mind that it's
receiving fairly high frequencies, and noise is not it's best friend.

I had a problem with a mainboard a long time ago, but that was solved by a
bios upgrade.

> > How is the interface to the mpeg2 decoder? is it possible to
> > decode any mpeg2 stream or does it only accept data from the card itself?
>
> I can play mpeg1 and 2 files with test_av_play that comes with dvb-apps
> package and have them outputed via the video and audio outputs from the dvb
> card.

I belive it takes main profile 1 and 2 or something like that, limited to the
resolutions of the DVB standard (704x480 + 720x576 + 352x240 + 360x288, or
something like that). Someone more experienced in this area could probably
tell you more, but the archive
(http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/) would probably contain the
info you are seeking.

Kenneth