[linux-dvb] Re: SuSE9.1 / NOVA-t USB problems

Dr M Price wrote:
> I'm struggling with my Hauppauge budget USB box.
> I'm trying to use it with SuSE 9.1 (uname -r = 2.6.4-52-smp).
> Having read that the 2.6 kernel has built-in dvb support, I tried it
> straight out of the box.  It didn't hotplug correctly (the light at
> the front of the box lit up orange).
> I rebooted to coldplug.  This time the light went green.  An "lsmod"
> revealed that dvb_core and dbv_ttusb_budget loaded.
>
> However, a quick test with tzap gave the following error:
>
> ERROR: failed opening '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' no such device.
>
> This kind of makes sense because the coldplugger clearly hasn't
> loaded a front-end driver.  I presume that the frontend drivers
> aren't built ino the kernel?

They are but there are no dependencies on frontends and they can't
be autodetected AFAIK so they won't get loaded automatically. Use
rcdvb start to load all frontends (package dvb). Maybe you also need
some firmware to make the card work?

Since I don't have such USB cards I don't know what's needed to make
their setup easier. The current dvb package is geared to dvb-ttpci
aka full featured cards. Suggestions how to improve the package are
greatly appreciated though.

cu
Ludwig

--