[linux-dvb] Re: More than 4 DVB cards - again

Hi Johannes

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:

I'm trying to access the fifth DVB card with little success.
..
Kernel is 2.6.6
More than 4 cards were only supported with the old "DVB" driver
with CONFIG_DVB_DEVFS_ONLY enabled in dvbdev.c. I can't remember
why this was dropped in dvb-kernel.
# ls -l /dev/dvb/adapter4
crw-------    1 root     root     250,   1 Jan  1  1970 audio0
The minor numbers are the same as for adapter0 which is why it doesn't
work. The best solution would be to use the extended minor number
range in 2.6 kernels. For 2.4 one could use a second major number.
Searching google for "extended minor number" reveals 5 links, all to
SCO software.

http://216.239.39.99/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=%22extended+minor+number%22&btnG=Search

I guess now we added two more links in Google for "extended minor number" ;-)

Seriously, using "extended minor number". How do I do that ?
Are you talking about changing something in a config file
or are you talking about rewriting the device driver ?

What is the limitation regarding more DVB devices than 4 ?

I do use two different cards (2 budget, 2 budget-ci and 1 full) using
different modules, but they all uses the dvb module of course.

Kind regards

--PMM

Home | Main Index | Thread Index