[linux-dvb] Re: SAA7146 Cropping

Hi,

Trying my gmail account to see if the formatting is any better.  Thank
you  for the detailed explanation, I find DVB quite interesting and
fun to learn about.  So it sounds like the av7110 is the one that
actually does the MPEG decoding.  I looked through some of the av7110
documentation and it mentions 1/4 and 1/16 decimation video modes
which can be attached to an OSD window.  This is exactly what I'm
trying to do.  However, as you mentioned, it appears that the current
version of the firmware doesn't support using these decimation modes
(based on the av7110_hw.[ch] files).

You mentioned that in theory this could be added to the firmware but
can give more details on how this can be achieved ?  The kernel
documentation says the firmware is proprietary and is only distributed
in binary format.  Since the av7110 has support for the decimation
modes is it that hard to add firmware support for them ?

I have noticed the quality issues with using the s-video out.  I have
a GeForce4 which at least supports overscanning to fill the screen but
quality just isnt' there.  I guess I could always upgrade to a
flat-panel television with DVI inputs :-)

Thank You,
bball