[linux-dvb] Hauppauge Nova-T scanning problem

Hi,
I'm new to all this DVB stuff and been been trying all weekend to get a Hauppauge Nova-T card working under Linux. I first tried getting it working under Mandrake 9.2 which uses the 2.4.22 kernel. I spent most of Saturday trying to get the DVB drivers to compile without much success. This morning I then tried installing Mandrake 10.0 Community Edition instead which uses the 2.6.3 kernel and comes with all the DVB modules.

After spending several hours figuring out what modules I needed to modprobe to get all the /dev/dvb stuff to appear properly I finally came up with the following list:

dvb-core
saa7146
saa7146_vv
budget
grundig_29504-401

The budget module made the /dev/dvb/adapter0 folder appear with the demux0, dvr0 and net0 drivers. The grundig module then made the frontend0 driver appear. (BTW - it took me ages to figure all this out! It would be nice if there was a decent how-to listing what modules you need for what cards.).

Once I've done all this I get the following output from dmesg:

Linux video capture interface: v1.00
saa7146: register extension 'budget dvb'.
saa7146: found saa7146 @ mem df84f000 (revision 1, irq 5) (0x13c2,0x1005).
DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI).
TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI adapter 0 has MAC addr = 00:d0:5c:21:32:d0
DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (Grundig 29504-401)...

Horay, I thought, now it's just a simple matter of running scan to find some channels and then I can enjoy some digital TV! Unfortunatly this was not the case. I downloaded the dvd-apps-1.1.0 tarball from linuxtv.org and compiled the utilities without a problem. The tunning data files for the scan program did not include one for my local transmitter Sudbury so taking a look at the other UK ones and after a bit of Googling I came up with the following tuning data for Sudbury (which may be completely wrong, I don't know):

# Sudbury
# T freq bw fec_hi fec_lo mod transmission-mode guard-interval hierarchy
T 850000000 8MHz 2/3 NONE QAM64 2k 1/32 NONE

I then proceded to run scan ./dvb-t/uk-Sudbury and got the following output:

scanning ./dvb-t/uk-Sudbury
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
Frontend can not do INVERSION_AUTO, trying INVERSION_OFF instead
initial transponder 850000000 0 2 0 3 0 0 0
>>> tune to: 850000000:INVERSION_OFF:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
>>> tune to: 850000000:INVERSION_OFF:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_NONE:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE (tuning failed)
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
ERROR: initial tuning failed
dumping lists (0 services)
Done.

Assuming there was something wrong with my data file I then tried using some of the supplied ones for Crystal Palace and Oxford but I received exactly the same error as above.

There were no new messages or errors in dmesg, syslog or messages. Searching on Google yielded no useful results. I am at a complete loss as to what to do next. So far I have hit one hurdle after another! Can anyone _please_ help me get my DVB card working? Your help will be greatly appreciated!

- David
www.uk-dave.com
linuxtv AT uk-dave DOT com

Home | Main Index | Thread Index