From: linux-dvb-bounce@linuxtv.org [mailto:linux-dvb-bounce@linuxtv.org] On
Behalf Of Irek Defee
Sent: segunda-feira, 19 de Julho de 2004 09:22
To: t.schorpp@gmx.de; 'Graham Leggett'
Cc: linux-dvb@linuxtv.org
Subject: [linux-dvb] Re: Do dvb drivers support Nagravision CA?

>Graham Leggett wrote:
> Thomas Schorpp wrote
>>> Do the DVB drivers support the Nagravision CA system?
>> i recommend you buying legal cam hw extensions to your dvb, vdr and
>> others should support it.
> My question is: once I have bought the above hardware and CA module,
and
> one I have obtained permission from the content provider to do this,
> will the Linux DVB drivers be able to handle content from this setup?
>ive read success reports from users doing so and, NO again, no paytv
>provider will grant you permission or even support to do this way,
>theyve outlawed all other than their certified equipment(SW+HW) in the
>subscription agreements youve to sign and hereby to follow the(ir)
laws.
>youll risk loosing any support and even contract violation fees(!).
>this is comparable with the libdvdcss and new (c) laws discussions.

> (Let me make it clear, I am NOT trying to find ways to hack, crack or
> otherwise illegally access content. I am trying to find a Linux
solution
> to LEGALLY access a Nagravision encrypted program stream. Surely
> something like this has been done before?).
>but you do then ;) theres NO legal law agreements conformant way, even
>if not penalty judgable, youre outlwaed in civil law, at least, and the

>only support you get is from the mentioned outlawed peoples forums and
>websites. NEVER FROM HERE.

If I may add something to clarify:

If a private user buys legal CAM and legal entitlement card and puts it
into the DVB-S card for its own private use there is no violation of
law, right?

Regarding the content distribution side: content owner may specify they
type of equipment one will be able to use for receiving the content. Not
even this, they also specify e.g. satellite transponder from which one
is allowed
to get the content. That is, even if the content is available on
different
satellites, agreement strictly defines the legal satellite! Thus, in
this case resolving the issue with the content owner is necessary.

The problem considered here is typical for IPTV. For distribution over
IP
Network, the encrypted content is stripped off any encryption and this
has
to be negotiated with content owner if they restrict the type of
equipment
used for stripping or not.