[linux-dvb] DVB cards in a Server, Buffer sizes

Hi Dear DVB Developers,
your drivers appear now to be stable enough to be run in a server computer.
This makes sense if you want to burden that poor PC with cron or atd based
batch recording of TV or Radio programs (see my zapdvb project). Now my
little question (code below derived from szap.c) :

bool ZTuning::setDemux(HANDLE dmxfd, bool bAudio, bool bDvr)
{
 if(bDvr) {
  int buffersize = 64 * 1024;
  if (ioctl(dmxfd, DMX_SET_BUFFER_SIZE, buffersize) == -1) {
   ZZapDvb::printError("DVB setup (ioctl DMX_SET_BUFFER_SIZE) failed:");
   return false;
  }
 }
 ....bla bla bla...
}

As you can see the s/t/c-zap family of programs sets a buffer size of 64kByte
on the demux device. This is not very much. Even a workstation can be
(disk-io) busy for a few seconds - not to mention a server. I do not want to
discuss the problem of missing (disk-)io priorities in the kernel, but my
question simply is:

    IS IT RECOMMENDED AND SAFE TO USE A LARGER BUFFER?

I would feel better to tell the driver to grab 512 kByte of precious kernel
memory. What do you think?

Yours Jürgen

Home | Main Index | Thread Index