[linux-dvb] Re: Can the auto symbol rate patch for mt312 be merged?

Roberto Ragusa wrote:

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:33:39 +0200
Holger Waechtler <holger@qanu.de> wrote:

Just go on and add your code, as long no other hardware supports these capabilities a "private" API should be ok. Please don't add your ioctls in the linux/include/frontend.h file but keep them private in a include file shared between mt312.c and your userspace scan application, as soon we have a fixed API both would need to get touched again anyways. For now they are too specific tied to the mt312.

I don't think I've understood what you mean.
As my first goal is to avoid the need to recompile the kernel to have
blindscan capability and as some kernel support is required to do this, it
is necessary to at least have an undocumented kernel feature (e.g. the
mt312 frontend accepts strange symbol rate values, which should be normally
rejected); which I dislike, as it's not an acceptable behaviour from my
point of view, expecially in free software.

So the choice is between:
- having a minimally invasive, hacked, somewhat documented feature for mt312
only (my first idea: sending the range bitmask as symbol rate)
- creating a modest API extension, ready for adoption by other frontends
and well documented as a feature which could be available or not
(FE_HAS_AUTO_SYMBOL_RATE) (my second idea: introducing an ioctl to set
the range before tuning)

Are you saying that even the 2nd choice is too invasive for you?
The patch is really small and clean, just a new ioctl which passes a
struct containing two integers.

Right now I'd vote for option (1), on the long term I would propose the API I suggested in a previous mail, we implemented this for a different (non-linux) project for the MT352 and it works just fine. Due to it's generality it may suit other hardware much better than the more low-level approach you implemented for the MT312 (and I assume it should be also possible to implement this for the '312 -- the Zarlink Eval Software provides exactly this functionality in it's API).

As intermediate step the approach (1) should be just perfect -- but I would like to avoid such extensions in the public API until it is clear that the approach is generic enough to be implemented in different flavors of hardware.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index