[linux-dvb] Re: wiki?

Johannes Stezenbach <js@convergence.de> writes:

> I have no experience with wikis. I think plain, simple, static
> HTML (+ CSS) via CVS is best. It should be simple enough to
> submit patches for the website then.

I'm maintaining the linux.bytesex.org site that way: all stuff in cvs,
static pages + css for formating + some server side includes for
common stuff like page navigation.

One of the drawbacks I see with such a approach is that you basically
need a local webserver to expand the SSI's, so you can check how the
pages actually look like before committing your changes.

Another drawback is that developers are usually familiar with using
cvs, but users / testers might be not.  As developers usually tend not
to like updating documentation + web pages it probably isn't wise to
use tools for the web pages only developers are familiar with ;)
A wiki very likely is easier to use than the cvs approach for many
people.

Just my 2 cent,

  Gerd

--