[linux-dvb] Re: remote on hauppage nova-t

matthew streeter wrote:
| Hi list
|
| has anyone got the remote on the hauppauge nova-t working? I am on the
2.6
| kernel and have the saa7146/ tda10045 card
|
| am running under suse9.1
|
| any advice would be useful
|
| matthew

I'm using a 2.4 kernel, but the process should be pretty similar...

Don't install LIRC. The DVB module for the Nova-T card contains code to
detect when you're pressing buttons on the remote and send them directly
to the event queue. So all you need to do is, plug in the IR receiver to
the DVB card. Then you can use the "evtest" programme that comes with
the linuxtv-dvb-apps to check it works:

cd linuxtv-dvb-apps-1.1.0/util/av7110_loadkeys/
./evtest /dev/input/event0

This should print out key codes when you press buttons on the remote. If
no code appears when you press a particular button, check dmesg - there
will probably be a line like this:

Apr 27 08:45:33 digibox kernel: DVB (msp430_ir_interrupt): no key for 3b!

You may need to edit the key code mappings in
linuxtv-dvb-CVS/dvb-kernel/build-2.4/budget-ci.c to make them more
suitable for MythTV (or whatever you are going to use) and to add
buttons that evtest didn't pick up. Here's my key_map table (0's are
buttons which don't exist - these are the ones that produce the dmesg
error if they are pressed when the key map table is wrong, like the
"go" button which produces code 0x3b on mine):

/*
~ * key map for remote that comes with Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T PCI Digital
TV Card
~ * generate keys for MythTV rather than KEY_REWIND, KEY_PLAY, etc
~ */
static  u16 key_map[64] = {
~        /* 0x0X */
~        KEY_0, KEY_1, KEY_2, KEY_3, KEY_4, KEY_5, KEY_6, KEY_7, KEY_8,
KEY_9,
~        0,
~        KEY_RED,                        /* red */
~        KEY_I,                          /* unlabeled */
~        KEY_M,                          /* menu */
~        0,
~        KEY_F9,                         /* mute */
~        /* 0x1X */
~        KEY_RIGHT,                      /* right/vol+ */
~        KEY_LEFT,                       /* left/vol- */
~        0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
~        KEY_PAGEDOWN,                   /* skip */
~        KEY_ESC,                        /* back/exit */
~        /* 0x2X */
~        KEY_UP,                         /* up/ch+ */
~        KEY_DOWN,                       /* down/ch- */
~        0, 0,
~        KEY_PAGEUP,                     /* replay */
~        KEY_ENTER,                      /* ok */
~        0, 0, 0,
~        KEY_BLUE,                       /* blue */
~        0, 0, 0, 0,
~        KEY_GREEN,                      /* green */
~        0,
~        /* 0x3X */
~        KEY_P,                          /* pause */
~        0,
~        KEY_COMMA,                      /* rewind */
~        0,
~        KEY_DOT,                        /* fforward */
~        KEY_SPACE,                      /* play */
~        KEY_P,                          /* stop */
~        KEY_R,                          /* record */
~        0, 0, 0,
~        KEY_O,                          /* go */
~        KEY_W,                          /* full */
~        KEY_POWER,                      /* power */
~        KEY_YELLOW,                     /* yellow */
~        0,
};

I also increased the repeat rate from 350ms to 650ms (just search and
replace 350 with 650 - it should only occur in a couple of places).
Trial and error is the way to work out what is best for you (and your
girlfriend!)

Now, if you "modprobe hid" (if it is not already loaded), then the
remote control should send its key codes directly to the keyboard when
you press the buttons.

| ps do any of the uk users know how to get the BBCi and all the
interactive
| stuff working

BBCi (and all the "red button" stuff) is something called MHEG-5 -
basically the digital equivalent of teletext - there are no open
source decoders as far as I am aware. You can download the specs
here:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/publications/books/mheg_profile_106.pdf

so if you want to write one...

- --