[linux-dvb] Re: CX88 i2c issue w/ DVB tuners

Andrew de Quincey writes:
 > On Friday 10 Sep 2004 11:02, John Dalgliesh wrote:

 > > > Ah right cool. Eurgh, nasty problem waiting down the line when those
 > > > cards Holger mentioned appear.
 > >
 > > I don't think I understand the condition you are worried about. Do you
 > > mean that the card has to have two separate (i2c-addressable) tuners, one
 > > for analogue and one for digital? Or would a card that has one tuner that
 > > does both like <http://www.dvico.com/products_mul_hd3.html> be a worry?
 > >
 > > Just wondering :)
 >
 > If the card is marked as both analogue and digital, and happens to use one of
 > the i2c addresses which several devices use, you could end up with the wrong
 > i2c device associated with the wrong device - e.g. the tda9987 (analogue
 > tuner) driver was being used incorrectly as the driver for the cx22702
 > (digtial demodulator) because they both commonly reside at the same i2c
 > address. And theres no way to detect the tda9887 more specifically.

I think before (a year or so ago) when possible improvements
of the kernel i2c driver for DVB were discussed on this list
one of the ideas was to add a type field to the i2c client.
Something like I2C_DVB_DEMOD, I2C_DVB_TUNER, I2C_ANALOG_TUNER,
I2C_ANALOG_SOUND_THINGY_GADGET, etc.
The i2c driver could then choose in the attach function what kind of
clients to accept and how to configure them.

Ralph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index