[linux-dvb] Re: CX88 i2c issue w/ DVB tuners

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
Holger Waechtler wrote:

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

Autoprobing isn't braindead.

Braindead is that chip vendors omit the device id registers one
needs to do autoprobing _right_. (It's Philips' fault that they
didn't include device ids in the I2C spec.)
The i2c protocol was never specified to be flexible, it does a very special task and it does it quite well. Ok, i2c has it's quirks, but that's not our problem right now, our problem is the linux i2c infrastructure implementation by people who misunderstood the reality.

Maybe you live in a different reality than I do ;-/

I've seen the source of [name deleted]'s STB software, which has
absolutely nothing to do with Linux. And guess what? They do
device probing, too. Because in real life one piece of software
has to run on a multitude of hardware revisions.
They can freely configure the address pins of their i2c devices.
Have you ever asked yourself why i2c addresses of devices are configurable? They have never been intended as device id to be misused for autoprobing code.

I can't wait until [name deleted] tells you that the new
XY frontend is cheaper that Samsung's, and could you not add
device probing to your USB thingy firmware.
we can, we develop the hardware on our own and have thus the freedom to choose our own i2c device addresses. The average linux driver writer is in a less comfortable position.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index