[linux-dvb] Re: Proposal for new frontend architecture

Wolfgang Wegner wrote:

Hi,
On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 01:39:55PM +0200, Holger Waechtler wrote:

I agree that the latter is not relevant, but the former might be
nice for companys willing to adopt (parts of) linux-dvb for a
commercial set-top-box development.

Please respect the licenses, most of these drivers are GPL.

Sorry if this was not clear.
What we did at this (former) company was completely independent
of linux-dvb, i just used it as an example because the application
and problem was the same as here, and my above statement was only
related to some occurences of questions on the list.

I do think that also a commercial box could be based on
linux-dvb - i hope that equipment manufacturers do think
so, too.

no, it's perfectly legal to use the linux-dvb code in commercial environments, you just need to respect the licenses -- copy'n'pasting the code into closed-source drivers or applications was not really the intention of the GPL.

Sorry for getting off-topic, but wanted to make this clear.

no problem.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index