[linux-dvb] Re: Proposal for new frontend architecture

Michael Hunold wrote:

On 22.09.2004 13:32, Gerd Knorr wrote:

Problem #1: Register the frontend with the correct dvb adapter. The
i2c frontend driver is separate from the dvb adapter driver, which is
basically a good thing to reuse the fe code for different adapters.

I think we have to find a consensus on what a "frontend" actually is. From the discussion I learned that there is no such thing as a i2c frontend device. The frontend is the combination of chipsets inside the tin box.

The frontend is the fuzzy thing that makes electromagnetic signals in the air a MPEG2 transport stream. Even a network interface reading a DVB UDP stream from the net is a frontend.

Usually only RF sensitive components are located inside the tin box, the demodulator and the LNB supply circuitry is often placed side-by-side.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index