[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

Andrew de Quincey <adq_dvb@lidskialf.net> writes:

> Obviously if the user manually turns one off, they can be assumed to be
> knowing what they're doing, and can sort out any problems themselves.

That requires #ifdef's in the drivers :-/

You can warn the users that way through ...

    if (this_card_needs_cx22702) {
#ifdef CONFIG_FE_CX22702
        cx22702_create(...);
#else
	printk("Don't disable FE's unless you know what you are doing.");
	printk("Rebuild your kernel with CONFIG_FE_CX22702 enabled please.");
#endif
    }

... which isn't that nice IMHO.  Can be done on a case-by-case base
through, so maybe we should do that only for drivers which are used in
embedded environments.  On a normal PC it simply doesn't matter to
save a few kbytes ...

  Gerd

--
return -ENOSIG;