[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

On Wednesday 06 Oct 2004 17:24, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> >On Wednesday 06 Oct 2004 16:59, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> >>Hi Andrew,
> >>
> >>since this thread is becoming kind of large here the reference again:
> >
> >Yeah, I've read and understood that - but it doesn't actually say what the
> >lsmod value is (misleading though it may be)... is it the total possible
> > size of the module or something? (I'm just interested to know now).
>
> Don't know for sure about the lsmod output semantics (and the manpage is
> not really verbose) but I assume they also include the tables and data
> used for housekeeping.

OK, so: If we link all the modules into the av7110 as is, it will consume 40k
for the frontend drivers.

Before we start getting excited, is this actually a problem? The embedded
platforms will only include one (or maybe two) demodulator drivers, which are
individually quite small. Its only the av7110 that needs 5 demodulator
drivers.

I'm going to remove the ifdef stuff I've added 'cos its horrible -  I had to
add it to realise HOW horrible. The av7110 can be sorted by splitting it up
into separate DVB-T, DVB-C, and DVB-S drivers. Any volunteers? If not, then
it stays consuming 40k. Most people will be using far more than this because
of our previous advice to "compile and load all frontends".

The demods themselves can obviously be optimised better as Holger says.
However, my motivations in this are to fix the clashes, allow the demods to
be customised better, and remove the card-specific code in them. If people
want to then improve invididual demods for code size, speed, etc, please do!

I'd like to stablise what we have without making any further changes - its hit
nearly 75% of the files already.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index