[linux-dvb] Re: refactoring

On Sunday 10 Oct 2004 14:01, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> > >Have stuff visible in sysfs, firmware loads, powermanagement
> > >(suspend/resume), make the code easier to read for others by using
> > >the usual structures rather than inventing your own, ...
> >
> > Frontend devices are already visible through sysfs, check dvbdev.c.
>
> Not in /sys/devices, which is needed for powermanagement, because the
> power management code walks the device tree on suspend/resume.
>
> > In order to allow firmware uploads via this interface we just need to
> > pass a valid driver pointer instead of NULL to the registration
> > function.
>
> It's a device pointer, not a driver pointer btw.  Where you take that
> from if you don't register within the device tree?

The card device that the frontend is soldered onto.

As to whether this is good or not - still investigating. From one point of
view it makes sense - all the sub-components of a specific card are attached
to the same physical parent, and not exposed separately.

The other point of view is that each device belongs on its own separate
visible bus. Frankly, this seems a bit weird to me - then you end up exposing
the internal subcomponents/buses of devices to the world. But this seems to
be the way linux has chosen.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index